Apparently, though unproven, at 08:49 on Thursday 20 January 2011, Matthias
Fechner did opine thusly:

> Hi,
>
> On 20.01.11 04:35, John Campbell wrote:
> > I had that problem or something similar some time ago when updating to
> > the new, at the time, pata drivers.  I ended up using a brute force
> > technique...  I booted grub to it's built in shell and used it's limited
> > tools to figure out which partition/drive was which and editing the
> > kernel/initrd lines to get the system to boot to init level 1 and then
> > make the changes permanent in grub and fstab.
>
> ok, I found now the problem, it was a combination of a missing driver
> and a new device name (changed from sdc to sde).
>
> But really it cannot be that it is impossible to scroll the kernel
> messages up? Is there really no way existing to get to the message above?
> And take a camera is absolutely impossible, from grub to kernel panic it
> takes around 1 second, that is faster then the display to switch the to
> the correct output mode.

The whole point of a panic is that the kernel stops executing code. It has to,
something has gone badly wrong and it's too risky to continue execution of
anything.

Scrolling up involves running some code. You can't have it both ways.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com