Apparently, though unproven, at 09:00 on Tuesday 01 February 2011, Mick did
opine thusly:

> On Monday 31 January 2011 23:31:23 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > So it's not even a learning opportunity. But upgrading to KDE-4.6.0 from
> > 4.5.x when I had kbluetooth installed - now *that* was an excellent
> > learning opportunity.
>
> Tell us more ... what are the gotchas?

Portage can deal with a pure kde-4.5.x to 4.6.0 upgrade, the blockers are all
soft ones so they just get automagically dealt with.

But kbluetooth has this gem:

COMMON_DEPEND="
        <kde-base/kdelibs-4.6[semantic-desktop?]
        <kde-base/libkworkspace-4.6
        <kde-base/solid-4.6[bluetooth]
"

Oops. Blocks kdelibs. Basically nothing can proceed but portage doesn't know
that so it dumps about 300 lines of errors on-screen. And the poor user has to
sift through all of that to find the root cause. It's there, just hidden right
in the middle of all the other junk on screen

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com