Apparently, though unproven, at 19:38 on Tuesday 01 February 2011, Dale did
opine thusly:

> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Portage can deal with a pure kde-4.5.x to 4.6.0 upgrade, the blockers are
> > all soft ones so they just get automagically dealt with.
> >
> > But kbluetooth has this gem:
> >
> > COMMON_DEPEND="
> >
> >          <kde-base/kdelibs-4.6[semantic-desktop?]
> >          <kde-base/libkworkspace-4.6
> >          <kde-base/solid-4.6[bluetooth]
> >
> > "
> >
> > Oops. Blocks kdelibs. Basically nothing can proceed but portage doesn't
> > know that so it dumps about 300 lines of errors on-screen. And the poor
> > user has to sift through all of that to find the root cause. It's there,
> > just hidden right in the middle of all the other junk on screen
>
> Do you have k3b installed?  I tried to install it here, it was a blocker
> earlier so I -C'd it, and it appears k3b wants a older version of qt
> stuff and KDE 4.6 wants the new versions of qt stuff.  I have not been
> able to work around this yet but would love to know if it is doable yet.

Of course it can be done :-)
Output trimmed for brevity.

$ eix kdebase-meta
[I] kde-base/kdebase-meta
     Available versions:
        (4.4)   4.4.5
        (4.5)   (~)4.5.5
        (4.6)   {M}(~)4.6.0
        {aqua kdeprefix}
     Installed versions:  4.6.0(4.6)(04:58:02 28/01/11)(-aqua -kdeprefix)
     Homepage:            http://www.kde.org/

$ eix k3b
[I] app-cdr/k3b
     Available versions:  (4) 2.0.1-r1 (~)2.0.2-r1
     Installed versions:  2.0.2-r1(4)(18:11:41 27/01/11)(dvd encode ffmpeg
flac lame mad musepack musicbrainz vcd vorbis wav -aqua -debug -emovix -hal
-kdeenablefinal -sndfile -sox -taglib)
     Homepage:            http://www.k3b.org/

"qt" doesn't show up in the k3b ebuild anywhere so your blocker is probably
from one of the deps. It inherits the same eclass as KDE so it's not that. I
remeber having to unmerge k3b and merge it later, but that seemed to be a hal
thing.

What does emerge -t show?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com