Am Fri, 25 Feb 2011 23:31:07 -0200
schrieb luis jure <l...@internet.com.uy>:

> hello list,

Hi,

> i'm old-fashioned and i never cared for this automount thing, but now i
> have two pen drives and two usb hard disks that i have to mount and umount
> all the time, and doing it by hand every time is beginning to be very
> annoying...
>
> i see that distributions like ubuntu and others have this feature by
> default: you plug in a pen drive and it creates a mount point under /media
> and mounts the device there. but i have no idea to get something like that
> working on my gentoo machine. i searched the web, but the documents i
> found on the subject are somewhat contradictory and all of them too old
> for comfort.
>
> any hints about a standard "gentoo way" to achieve this?
>
> by the way, i use xfce, so i can't use tools specific for kde or gnome, if
> they exist.

It seems that for Xfce you want the Thunar Volume Manager plugin
(xfce-extra/thunar-volman):
http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/thunar-plugins/thunar-volman

Otherwise, I know of three modern (i.e. udev or udisks based) desktop
independent ways for auto-mounting:
- uam
  A udev based auto-mounter. It doesn't mount CD/DVD/etc. drives (because, well,
  it's udev-based), but otherwise worked flawlessly on my machine.
- udiskie
  A udisks based auto-mounter, doesn't work properly for me, i.e. one of
  my USB sticks wouldn't mount, apparently because udisks flagged it as
  non-automountable.
- udisks-glue
  A udisks based tool that can execute arbitrary commands on udisks events, e.g.
  auto-mount disks.

(My personal preference is currently udisks-glue.)

HTH
--
Marc Joliet