hi marc,

>It seems that for Xfce you want the Thunar Volume Manager plugin

i had already installed this plugin, but it doesn't seem to do much: an
icon for the device appears on the side panel, but no corresponding mount
point is created under /media. when i click on the icon a "Not Authorized"
message appears.

>Otherwise, I know of three modern (i.e. udev or udisks based) desktop
>independent ways for auto-mounting:

thanks for the suggestions. i'm thinking of giving udiskie a try, but i'm
unable to find any documentation about it: what am i supposed to do after
installation? anything to configure, init scripts to run?

alles gute,

lj