At work, we've had a lot of success with Lenovo's. My T61p (3 years old) is
fully supported by Linux - wireless included - according the documentations; I
can't quite verify as I haven't been able to transition it (yet) to Linux.
Colleagues haven't had issues with another model, but I'm not sure which it is
off-hand.

Ben

I bought a Gateway NV55C late last year, and Ubuntu went on without a hitch:
sound, movies, webcam, wifi, ethernet, second monitor and all.

The only thing to dislike is that the machine does not have an indicator LED
for
caps lock -- on Win 7 it uses an on-screen icon each time the status changes.