Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>>
>> Whereas openWRT sounds like you may need to role your own iptables
>> script right off the bat.  at least judging from a few posts I've now
>> read from their mailing list where people seem to be asking the kinds
>> of iptables questions you might find on that list..
>
> Right, OpenWRT is more of a "do-it-yourself" distro, with a package
> manager, you install what you want to use and configure it yourself.
> DD-WRT is more of the "ubuntu-style" router OS, it comes with a bunch
> of services pre-installed and pre-configured, with a pretty GUI, and
> you only have to enable or disable them and the defaults are set up
> for your hardware already.
>
> Under the surface, both are very similar, in fact I read that new
> versions of DD-WRT are going to be developed on top of OpenWRT. Both
> can be configured via telnet/ssh or via a web GUI.
>
> I think that if someone can handle Gentoo, they can definitely handle
> OpenWRT.

What I see is somewhat difficult is learning enough iptables to be
competent with it.

As I recall from yrs ago it is not that easy to keep from shooting
yourself in the foot and ending up hacked or such with iptables.

> . . . . . I have 3 Buffalo routers (all different models) and I'm using
> DD-WRT on 2 of them and OpenWRT on the other, though I'm not doing
> anything particularly complicated on any of them.

What I have to do is probably a lot simpler than what you are doing
with any of them.  Just a home lan router/firewall.  But if I had to
learn iptables, that throws `simple' right out the door.

Are you running iptables on any of them?

Does the one using openWRT have a basic firewall in place and some
wrapper around iptables to make the creation of rules a bit easier.?