On 5/11/2011 9:40 AM, Dale wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> On 05/11/2011 03:33 PM, Dale wrote:

>>> root@fireball / # cat /etc/make.conf | grep utf
>>> LC_ALL="en_US.utf8"
>>> root@fireball / #

Putting your LC_* values in make.conf means they're only going to apply
when you are building things, and not in everyday use.  If it's working,
you either haven't had to do anything where UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1 would
produce different results, or you have LC_* or LANG defined somewhere
else :)

>> Two issues.  First, LC_ALL does not belong in make.conf.  It belongs
>> in /etc/env.d/02locale.  Second, "en_US.utf8" is not correct.  It's
>> "en_US.UTF-8".  :-)

For whatever reason, the generated locale names (as visible by locale(1)
for example) get this wrong, which is why either variation selects the
correct locale definition:

kutulu@basement ~ $ locale -a
en_US.utf8
POSIX

It's particularly odd, since the charmap file is correctly named UTF-8
and you need to pass "-f UTF-8" to localedef to generate them. :\

> Funny that it seems to work.  I don't have that file:
>
> root@fireball / # cat /etc/env.d/02locale
> cat: /etc/env.d/02locale: No such file or directory
> root@fireball / #

You need to create the /etc/env.d/02locale file yourself; the name is
just the "generally accepted" one most systems use.

> But I do have this one:
>
> root@fireball / # cat /etc/locale.gen
[...]
> en_US ISO-8859-1
> en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8

This file is only used when you run locale-gen and/or rebuild glibc
(which, in turn, runs locale-gen). It dictates whichs locales get built
and installed, but not which one of those is used by default.

> I followed a guide when I did mine which is why I don't recall most of
> it.  On this rig, it wasn't to long ago.  My old rig has even older
> config files.  That install is about 6 pr 7 years old if I recall
> correctly.

The guide you probably should be following is:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml

--Mike