On 8/8/05, Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
My preference, since I normally mount with noatime, is:

mount /u/p/distfiles -o remount,atime    (yes, I keep distfiles on a
separate LVM volume!)
emerge --deep --emptytree --fetchonly world      (updates atimes)
mount /u/p/distfiles -o remount,noatime
find /u/p/distfiles -amin +60 -exec rm -v {} \;

The above commands will remove all distfiles not needed anymore, either
due to updates or unmerge packages.

This looks to be a very nice way to do it. It works in another way than the scripts I been looking to. Instead of searching what "should" be deprecated, it verifies that after an emerge world.. nice and simple!! However, in this way you'll erase all other packages that you may need in case you want to recompile them.. but maybe in this case, it's better to download them again than keep ALL of them wasting your disk space.

Other thing: I was not aware of LVM volumes, what are the advantages of using it to keep distfiles? And, how big is your volume?

Cheers,
Fernando