> Based on all the information provided already, there is a very good chance
> that the network card on your mainboard is no longer working correctly.

I'm afraid you're right, because neither Gentoo nor XP work and they're
on two different HD.

> I am, to be honest, hoping that it is caused by interference of the printer

It was my first idea, because it arrived just afterwards.

> or by a BIOS setting.

I verified, but didn't see any wrong setting

I'll try with an other network card...when I get time!
Thank's all for trying to bring me out of the trouble.
I'll tell you what will happen.
Roger