On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer <grim...@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 13. September 2011 17:10:40 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Be more specific. It sounds like there are a lot of people in here who
>> > want to change the direction of the distro.
>>
>> Sorry: I said it a lot of times before in the other thread, so I
>> thought it was clear.
>>
>> > Is it simply subscribing to -dev and voicing the conversation there?
>>
>> Of course not. But please, do that if you think it will help to steer
>> Gentoo to whatever direction do you think is the correct one.
>> Personaly I don't think the devs (who, AFAIK, do not receive a single
>> dime for working on Gentoo) will appreciate anybody telling them how
>> they should do their jobs, the one they do for free. But that's just
>> me.
>
> As you well know, not all of "our" devs are in favour of this idea.
> To quote one of them (vapier)
>
> "brain dead behavior in other packages has no bearing on openrc.  openrc will
> never require crap like initramfs simply to boot.
> -mike"
>
> And in a later mail:
>
> "...if there is something in openrc that doesnt
> work with a split /usr or /var, then file a bug because it is a bug..."
>
>> No, by "you know what needs to be done" I mean: code. Contribute.
>> Become a developer. Make shit happens the way you think it should
>> happen.
>> Shut up and code. Google it, I didn't come with the phrase.
>
> There are already devs on "our" side. Fortunatly one of them maintains openrc
> :)

I really don't see them as "sides". "We" are not at "war". And if
OpenRC is capable of booting without needing an initramfs, I really,
truly believe that is *GREAT*. But

a) It doesn't stop OpenRC to actually use an initramfs
b) Doesn't mean every other part of the stack will keep working
without an initramfs *AND* with a separated /usr.
c) Doesn't mean there are enough developers to keep supporting the
things upstream stop supporting.

Again, it all comes down to whoever writes the code. If Vapier wants
to support OpenRC for systems without initramfs and a separated /usr,
that's amazing and we should all said thanks to him and the other devs
for the extra effort. But it *WILL* be extra effort for him the moment
more upstreams choose to assume that either /usr is in /, or that the
system boots with an initramfs.

We can thank Vapier, but we cannot *demand* of him to support whatever
we want. Nor to any other dev.

So,if you *TRULY* believe that Gentoo should forever and ever support
any setup it has supported up until now, better start coding. Because
otherwise you can never be sure somebody else will do it for you.

And maybe I shouldn't even mention it, but I don't use OpenRC. I use
systemd. And it works great on Gentoo.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés