On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 1:52 AM, Joost Roeleveld<jo...@antarean.org>
>>  wrote:

>>> I read it before, but to be much more then Unix, Linux should be doing
>>> things
>>> better. Being different is what led to MS Windows'
>>
>> But that's the thing: we (you and me) don't see the situation the same
>> way. To me, the proposed changes are for the better.
>
> You are one of very few that feel this way.

Who actually speaks on the list. As far as we know, maybe the only
Gentoo users disagreeing with the changes are the ones saying so on
the list. We don't know.

>>> The new technologies have great merit. But, the implementation of it
>>> isn't
>>> thought through.
>>
>> In my humble opinion, what you just said is a little pedantic. You can
>> disagree with the proposed changes, you can argue why you think
>> another approach could be better. But just saying "the implementation
>> of it isn't  thought through", is a little insulting to the devs. I
>> think they though about the implementation a lot.
>
> The dev only thought about himself and the distro he uses.

That's one of the many things you don't get, Dale. It's not one dev.
It's not one distro. And that's the principal reason why I thing the
change willl indeed happen.

> He apparently
> didn't consider how what he is doing is going to affect others or he would
> have done something better.  People have already explained what should be
> done so there is a better way to do this without breaking things.

That people say things you agree with, doesn't necessarily means they
are right. Like Sebastian said, the thread goes in circles, so I will
not repeat my reasons for not agreeing: but be assured that many
people don't agree with your reasoning, and that several Gentoo devs
agree with the change. And they are working as we speak to implement
it.

Other devs do not agree, but again, code talks. At the end of the day,
the ones writing the code will have their way.

>>> If you care about Linux, why do you allow it to be broken in such a
>>> fundamental way?
>>
>> Again, to me is not "breaking it". To me is "improving it".
>>
>> Regards.
>
> It is breaking it.  Why you can't see that is beyond me.

Because, thanks to evolution, people have the ability (and liberty) to
think differently.

> It has already
> been said what is supposed to be required for booting and /usr and possibly
> /var is not on the list.

I have heard many ideas of "what is supposed to be required" for many
things. I haven't heard of anyone willing to implement most of those
great ideas. I have only heard from the Gentoo devs working in
following upstreams, and from the devs in said upstreams.

As long as nobody is willing to implement it (and maintain it, and
debug it, and support it), no "solution" is worth the bits used to
express it.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés