On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 19:34:36 +0700
Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 19:26, Alan McKinnon
> <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 12:15:02 +0700
> > Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> wrote:
> >
> >> Hmm, just ran eix-sync followed by emerge -pvuD @world...
> >>
> >> And I was unpleasantly surprised when I see
> >> sys-kernel/hardened-sources going back from the currently installed
> >> (and booting) 2.6.39-r13 to -r8
> >>
> >> Changelog does not described why -r13 is pulled.
> >
> > Actually it does :-)
> >
> >  13 Sep 2011; Anthony G. Basile <bluen...@gentoo.org>
> >  -hardened-sources-2.6.32-r64.ebuild,
> >  -hardened-sources-2.6.39-r12.ebuild,
> >  -hardened-sources-2.6.39-r13.ebuild,
> > -hardened-sources-3.0.3.ebuild: Removed deprecated versions
> >

> Yeah, it's "deprecated", but what does that mean, exactly?

Nobody knows what deprecated means. Usually it's developer whim...

Like "synergy", nobody on the planet know what that means either

> > Maybe -r13 just never made it to stable at all?
> >

> It's never stable, yes. But somehow I'm more comfortable with -r13
> than -r8 (5 revisions).

I tend to agree. Higher -r numbers include more kernel bugfixes and
Linus has a very long history of being correct about fixes with not many
wrong calls.

I wish people wouldn't just remove stuff without full details. If
there's an issue with that code, there should be a bug at b.g.o. and
the Changelog should mention it.

Then folks like yourself can read it and make informed decisions.
As it stands, you have nothing but mystery. Argggg.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com