On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com> wrote:
> On 10/06/2011 05:00 PM, Jonas de Buhr wrote:
>> Am Thu, 06 Oct 2011 15:27:14 -0400
>> schrieb Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com>:

>>> But if someone else snuck into your house and flipped your locks
>>> every week?
>>>
>>> This one change won't be catastrophic, but I will probably spend a
>>> good eight hours researching, testing, implementing, and documenting
>>> it. In the end, *if everything goes according to plan*, stuff will
>>> work exactly how it does now.
>>
>> nothing forces you to switch to grub2.
>>

> True in theory, but not in practice. Legacy grub will go away
> eventually.

Technically, it's already gone. It's on life-support: the developers
of grub-legacy are the same of GRUB2, and they are only accepting bug
fixes, not new features (I believe, someone correct me if I'm
mistaken).

The good news is that your current hardware (and also the new, for the
next few months) will probably work OK with grub-legacy. The bad news
is that machines with EFI and UEFI will need to use GRUB2 (again, that
is what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong).

> If we have some grub-legacy and some grub2 installs, we have
> to support (document, test, take out to dinner occasionally) both, which
> is probably going to be more effort than just moving to grub2 after I
> figure out how it works.

Exactly. From my point of view, better to start moving to GRUB2 now
(except for critical systems), to got it mastered when it hits stable.

> Either way is going to require a non-zero amount of work, while zero is
> the amount of work I would prefer to do.

We have a say in México: "el que quiera azul celeste, que le cueste".
It's basically the same as "there's no such thing as a free lunch":
everything costs, maybe in money, maybe in time, maybe in work, and
possibly on all of the above.

But hey, at least you don't have to write your own boot loader.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México