On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12 2011, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>
>> It's really weird; can I see /var/log/messages (or whatever logger
>> file you have)? With Enable=true in the [debug] key on
>> /etc/gdm/custom.conf, we should be able to see why gdm is dying.
>
> The output is below
>
>> My flags are:
>>
>> Installed versions:  3.2.0-r1[1](05:20:40 PM 10/11/2011)(consolekit
>> elibc_glibc gnome-keyring gnome-shell introspection ipv6 tcpd xklavier
>> -accessibility -debug -fprint -selinux -smartcard -test -xinerama)
>>
>> Mmmh. I didn't even know you could remove gnome-keyring from gdm. If
>> you are using GNOME, I don't see no reason to disable it. Maybe try
>> it?
>
> OK I will add it to my use flags.  That machine has profile
> linux/x86/10.0.  My real machine has profile
> linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/gnome.  Clearly the x86 vs amd64 is right, but
> I could(?) change my profile to desktop/gnome.  But that sounds like a
> big change that could open a can of worms.  My main machine (running
> gnome 2 not 3) has the gnome-keyring use flag for gdm)
>
>> Anyhow, the logs from gdm failing should tell us something. I don't
>> think is the video, like Michael suggested; supposedly gnome-shell
>> would detect that.
>
> I should have said that the video is working.  The "blue drapery"
> appears for a second before we get the black screen with the "oh no"
> msg.

Yeah, but Michael suggested that gnome-shell is crashing with your
particular combination of card/drivers. It is possible, for the quick
search I did for this problem.

What it is true is that gnome-shell is dying when gdm calls it:

Oct 12 17:47:48 oldlap gnome-session[15888]: DEBUG(+): GsmXSMPClient:
IceProcessMessagesIOError on '0x80aa870 [gnome-shell
106560af3f298b1c4413184560649172300000158880000]'

If it is related to the video card/driver that you use, try reemerging
cogl and clutter; it doesn't matter that a world upgrade don't want to
reemerge it, sometimes the ebuilds change without changing versions.
My versions and useflags of cogl and clutter are:

# emerge -1pv clutter cogl

Calculating dependencies                ... done!
[ebuild   R   ~] media-libs/cogl-1.8.0  USE="doc examples
introspection pango -debug -test" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ~] media-libs/clutter-1.8.0  USE="doc introspection
-debug" 0 kB [1]

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés