On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12 2011, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> I notice that I have the default "accessibility" use flag on.
>>> I am tempted to turn it off to reduce the number of packages
>>> involved.  Any downside?
>>
>> Not that I know of. Can you please backup /var/lib/gdm, and clean the
>> directory completely? Don't erase the directory, just its contents
>> (including *ALL* the hidden files); gdm needs this directory to start,
>> and it's gid gdm and uid gdm.
>
> I cleaned it.  Then built gdm with the gnome-shell flag.  This slightly
> repopulated the directory (see ls -lAR below).
>
>> After you have cleaned it, recompile gdm with the gnome-shell and try
>> again. I still don't see why gnome-shell is not starting, but gdm may
>> have problems with its user config (which is stored in /var/lib/gdm),
>> and *maybe* gnome-shell cannot start correctly if gdm is not built
>> with the gnome-shell use flag.
>>
>> Regards.
>
> gdm again failed (oh no, something has gone wrong) upon restart.
> To be certain, I did a reboot, gdm failed again, and then *really*
> cleaned the directory (including the files put there by the emerge)
> It again failed.

The files would reappear everytime you run gdm; they are its
configuration files.

> I tried an emerge --newuse --update --with-bdeps=y world,
> this complained because qt-gui didn't have the accessibility flag.
>
> So I put back accessibility and redid the update world.
> As expected only gdm was rebuilt.
> I restarted gdm (via xdm as usual) and the same failure occurred.
>
> I can't get gdm to run with the gnome-shell use flag.
>
> What use flags do you have for gdm?  Here is mine
>     Installed versions:  3.2.0-r1[1](05:47:00 PM 10/12/2011)(accessibility
> consolekit elibc_glibc gnome-shell introspection ipv6 tcpd xklavier -debug
> -fprint -gnome-keyring -selinux -smartcard -test -xinerama)
>
> thanks for all your efforts,

It's really weird; can I see /var/log/messages (or whatever logger
file you have)? With Enable=true in the [debug] key on
/etc/gdm/custom.conf, we should be able to see why gdm is dying.

My flags are:

Installed versions:  3.2.0-r1[1](05:20:40 PM 10/11/2011)(consolekit
elibc_glibc gnome-keyring gnome-shell introspection ipv6 tcpd xklavier
-accessibility -debug -fprint -selinux -smartcard -test -xinerama)

Mmmh. I didn't even know you could remove gnome-keyring from gdm. If
you are using GNOME, I don't see no reason to disable it. Maybe try
it?

Anyhow, the logs from gdm failing should tell us something. I don't
think is the video, like Michael suggested; supposedly gnome-shell
would detect that.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés