On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 8:31 AM, Allan Gottlieb <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11 2011, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
>>> For me, gnome 3.2 has been quite a regression over 3.0.
>>
>> Weird; for me it works so much better than 3.0.

>>> gdm-3.2.0-r1 crashes and when I revert to the 3.0 gdm, I get to the
>>> login screen but then gnome-shell crashes.  I tried to downgrade to
>>> gnome-shell-3.0.2-r1, but that needs libgnome-menu, which is not in
>>> portage/layman.
>>>
>>> The crash of gdm is described in bug #385525.
>>>
>>> The crash of gnome-shell is described in the following .xsession-errors
>>> file (tracker-miner-fs.log and tracker-store.log are empty).
>>>
>>> any help would be appreciated.
>>> allan
>>
>> Are you running the updated git of gnome-overlay? I had troubles with
>> gnome-settings-daemon until a couple of days.
>
> I believe I have been running the latest overlay.  I do an eix-sync
> every morning and /etc/eix-sync.conf contains
>    -C --ignore-default-opts
>    -C --quiet
>    gnome
> However, I will run
>    layman --sync-all
>
>> Can you try to start GNOME with a clean config (no ~/.config, no
>> ~/.local, no ~/.gconf, no ~/.gnome*).
>
> I tried that this morning; no improvement
>
>> Also, in my case, having gnome-shell extensions installed caused me
>> problems when upgrading.
>
> I do not have the extensions installed.
>
> From the gentoo bug #385525 there is a report that disabling the
> gnome-shell USE flag for gdm, permits gdm-3.2.0-r1 to run, but does not
> solve the problem with gnome-shell crashing.  I can confirm this
> behavior and am now running gdm-3.2.0-r1 with gnome-shell disabled.
>
> I just now did
>   layman --sync-all
>   emerge --newuse --update --with-bdeps=y world
>
> Only libraw and (of course) portage were merged.

When you do layman --sync-all, sometimes the ebuilds are updated, but
with the same version. Try to recompile every ebuild in the overlay
that you have installed in your system. At least, try to recompile
gdm, gnome-shell, and all of its direct dependencies, the packages in
COMMON_DEPEND, RDEPEND and DEPEND) in the gnome-shell-3.2.0-r1 ebuild.
Minus the use enabled where you don't set the use flag, of course.

Also: modify /etc/gdm/custom.conf and in the [debug] key set
"Enable=true". And modify /usr/share/xsessions/gnome.desktop and
replace Exec=gnome-session with Exec=gnome-session --debug. Then a lot
more info will be available in ~/.xsession-errors, and we will know
more.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés