Mick wrote:
Hi All,

I'm asked for a desktop antivirus (the box is running KDE) but I have never
used an antivirus on Linux.  This page that I googled up shows a number of
them:

   http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/free-linux-antivirus-programs/

Meanwhile, portage only lists clamav under app-antivirus/.

The machine in question is running kmail to receive/send messages from ISP
mail servers and ssmtp to send log messages for relaying via said ISP.

What have you tried and what would you recommend for such a desktop setup?

I have to agree with most everyone else on this one. You don't really need a anit-virus software to protect yourself. I do think it is good that you want to protect others by catching them while on your machine and then you know not to spread them around to others who can be infected. I used to do this a long time ago but I have policies here about sending messages to others. Mostly, I don't do it unless I know it is virus free. If I get a video that is funny or something, I find it on youtube and just forward a link to that. I'm sure youtube checks its stuff to be sure it is clean.

If you set up a process like this, you shouldn't spread anything but you do have to think before hitting forward too. I think people have figured out I don't forward just anything so I don't get a lot of "junk" anymore.

I do agree on using AVG as someone else posted. I have that on my brothers XP box. He likes it better than Norton that he used to pay for. If you can get that running on Linux, then that would be great. Another pretty good one that I used to use was f-prot but I think AVG would be better still.

Dale

:-)  :-)