Am 22.10.2011 17:14, schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
> On 10/22/2011 05:07 PM, Adam Carter wrote:
>>> there aren't any Linux viruses,
>>
>> Except for the ones listed on the page below, which is probably
>> incomplete.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware
>>
>> But yeah, on a linux desktop (especially a Gentoo one) you don't need
>> a virus scanner. Yet.
>
> There are literally *millions* of Windows viruses.  The Wikipedia page
> just proves Linux has virtually no viruses, and those listed don't even
> work anymore (exploits have been patched long ago.)  Most existing Linux
> malware targets servers (like PHP software exploits in forums, wikis,
> etc) and desktop users don't need to worry.
>
> Furthermore, even if there were enough Linux viruses to worry about,
> there isn't a good way of getting infected.  On Windows, you download
> random executables from the net.  On Gentoo, you install your stuff
> through portage.  It's nearly impossible to get infected.

Unless you hijack one of the portage mirrors or stage a
man-in-the-middle attack. Only a few manifest files in the official
portage tree are signed with PGP and even there I don't think emerge
checks the keys, only the normal hash keys. That is something that bugs
me for ages.

Regards,
Florian Philipp