On 10/23/11 16:52, Florian Philipp wrote:
> Am 23.10.2011 23:36, schrieb Michael Sullivan:
>> Hello.  I recently purchased a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR external TV card.
>> I'm trying to get it to work with Gentoo Linux.  I think I've followed
>> the steps found at
>> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-1900 correctly,
>> but I'm still getting errors.  When I plug the TV card into the USB slot
>> in the back of the computer and search dmesg, it says:
>>
> [...]
>>

>> I've emerged linuxtv-dvb-firmware and reissued the above command with no
>> change.  How do I get Gentoo to recognize this card?
>> -Michael Sullivan-
>>

> Try media-tv/ivtv-firmware. For some reason, that works better for me.
> And also media-tv/ivtv-utils.
>
> BTW: If your HVR behaves the same as my old PVR2, it can sometimes help
> to suspend and wake the system to get it working.

OK.  I restarted the computer.  (I have never suspended that computer
before and was unsure of what would happen, but I did not realize at the
time that my the game running on my wife's computer was using a samba
share that would be disrupted.)  I had no luck with ivtv-firmware, so I
have reinstalled linuxtv-dvb-firmware-2009.09.19.  Now the output of
dmesg has changed somewhat:

michael@carter ~ $ dmesg | grep -i pvr
pvrusb2: Hardware description: WinTV HVR-1950 Model 751xx
usbcore: registered new interface driver pvrusb2
pvrusb2: V4L in-tree version:Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 MPEG2 Encoder/Tuner
pvrusb2: Debug mask is 31 (0x1f)
pvrusb2: ***WARNING*** Device fx2 controller firmware seems to be missing.
pvrusb2: Did you install the pvrusb2 firmware files in their proper
location?
pvrusb2: request_firmware unable to locate fx2 controller file
v4l-pvrusb2-73xxx-01.fw
pvrusb2: Failure uploading firmware1
pvrusb2: Device initialization was not successful.
pvrusb2: Giving up since device microcontroller firmware appears to be
missing.

Does this help?