On 10/23/11 18:15, Neil Bothwick wrote:

>>> Is this file present in /lib/firmware?
>
>> Nope:
>
> It should be obvious that this needs to be addressed before anything
> else.
>
>> How do I get that file?
>
> Putting the filename into Google gave me those instructions in the first
> link.

I downloaded that file and rebooted and dmesg griped about another file
and I found it and downloaded it and rebooted and now my output looks
like this, which I'm happy with:

michael@carter ~ $ dmesg | grep -i pvrusb2
pvrusb2: Hardware description: WinTV HVR-1950 Model 751xx
usbcore: registered new interface driver pvrusb2
pvrusb2: V4L in-tree version:Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 MPEG2 Encoder/Tuner
pvrusb2: Debug mask is 31 (0x1f)
pvrusb2: Binding ir_rx_z8f0811_haup to i2c address 0x71.
pvrusb2: Binding ir_tx_z8f0811_haup to i2c address 0x70.
cx25840 2-0044: cx25843-24 found @ 0x88 (pvrusb2_a)
pvrusb2: Attached sub-driver cx25840
pvrusb2: Attached sub-driver tuner
pvrusb2: Supported video standard(s) reported available in hardware:
PAL-M/N/Nc;NTSC-M/Mj/Mk;ATSC-8VSB/16VSB
pvrusb2: Mapping standards mask=0x300b700
(PAL-M/N/Nc;NTSC-M/Mj/Mk;ATSC-8VSB/16VSB)
pvrusb2: Setting up 6 unique standard(s)
pvrusb2: Set up standard idx=0 name=PAL-M
pvrusb2: Set up standard idx=1 name=PAL-N
pvrusb2: Set up standard idx=2 name=PAL-Nc
pvrusb2: Set up standard idx=3 name=NTSC-M
pvrusb2: Set up standard idx=4 name=NTSC-Mj
pvrusb2: Set up standard idx=5 name=NTSC-Mk
pvrusb2: Initial video standard (determined by device type): NTSC-M
pvrusb2: Device initialization completed successfully.
pvrusb2: registered device video0 [mpeg]
DVB: registering new adapter (pvrusb2-dvb)

Speaking of which, isn't there an easier way to reload modules than
rebooting?  When I started using Gentoo in 2004, there was an
/etc/init.d/hotplug, which was replaced by /etc/init.d/coldplug, but
neither one seems to be present anymore on the system.  What service
loads modules on bootup now?