You identified a flaw in the system as you were using it. You're right,
those are flaws. However, you can " fix" those flaws by applying some magic
as a sysadmin. That's why several posts in the thread have mentioned
versioning your backups in some fashion. I've mentioned lvm a couple times.
I think someone else mentioned pulling the backup target's data to another
locale, either via a pull from another server, or via something like a
traditional incremental tape backup.

You're getting the data off the original machines to a remote location,
which is good. You identified a way the backed-up data could be tampered
with, which is good. You just need to put in another (better) barrier to
protect the data from being tampered with, or limit how much data is lost
in such an event.

ZZ