On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 00:51:44 +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

> I play with the thought of getting myself a nice new machine for work,
> better to spend some money on hardware than on taxes (2012 is near ...).

My thoughts exactly.

> Performance is one issue, another one is energy/noise ... the phenom
> 1090t seems to pull in a lot and need good (and maybe noisy) fans.

I'll be using my existing water cooling setup, so no need to worry about
that. However, after some research, I've decided to stick with Intel and
orders an i7 2600k today. I wasn't sure whether it was worth the extra
over the i5, but knew I would only regret it the first time I had to wait
for something. I rationalised the cost by getting "only" 8GB of RAM, but
leaving the slots free for another 8GB should I feel the need for it.

> I just start to compare. 6 cores, yep, sounds good for both
> gentoo-compile-work and VMs ...

The Intel chips are only four cores, but appear to give a lot more
bang-per-core, especially with the i7's hyperthreading.

--
Neil Bothwick

If you consult enough experts, you can confirm any opinion.