Am 2011-11-13 12:56, schrieb Neil Bothwick:

> General desktop use, but that does include some image processing
> and plenty of virtualisation. It will also be a build host for some
> lower powered Gentoo systems, so fast compile times, and plenty of
> cores, are advantages.

Nearly the same use here, KVM-virtualization, still one
VMware-player-driven-VM ....

I play with the thought of getting myself a nice new machine for work,
better to spend some money on hardware than on taxes (2012 is near ...).

Performance is one issue, another one is energy/noise ... the phenom
1090t seems to pull in a lot and need good (and maybe noisy) fans.

I just start to compare. 6 cores, yep, sounds good for both
gentoo-compile-work and VMs ...

Stefan