On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 2:11 AM, Stéphane Guedon <steph...@22decembre.eu> wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 November 2011 02:07:12 Pandu Poluan wrote:
>> And if you're adventurous, add USE "graphite", reemerge gcc, and reemerge
>> world :)
>
> what does "graphite" add ?

Thanks for reminding me; I meant to look it up when I got home.

shortcircuit:1@serenity~
Wed Nov 16 02:16 AM
!501 #1 j0 ?0 $ euse -i graphite
global use flags (searching: graphite)
no matching entries found

local use flags (searching: graphite)

[snip]

[-      ] graphite
    sys-devel/gcc: Add support for the framework for loop optimizations
    based on a polyhedral intermediate representation

So, a new, experimental optimization model and framework inside your
compiler. If it's specifically for optimizing on loops, I'll venture a
guess it's going to be mostly effective for graphics libraries and
apps. I've got some slightly riskier educated guesses on how it works
and what some numeric side effects and consequences might be, but they
scare me, so I think I'll leave it to someone who actually knows more
about it...

--
:wq