>Why I asked to just know if Gentoo is better or openSUSE is better for
>a novice who want to learn Linux, just coming directly from
>Windows...that's why...However, I have liked the Ubuntu (since it is
>easy and nice) but don't know about all Linux in general....is Gentoo
>is also using the same Linux which Ubuntu is using?

since you don't even know what linux is - go opensuse. It is much, much easier
to install and setup.

Gentoo is only for you if you like tuning, configuring and if you want the
system be as close as your personal ideal as possible. Which means:

reading and learning a lot
making a lot of mistakes
redoing
be prepared to pull out shell based text tools and fix the mess you created,

Go opensuse. it is much more usable for a novice.

And to answer your question:

no, gentoo is not using the same linux as ubuntu
nor does opensuse.

All distributions use some linux version and add their own patches.

With the exception of gentoo where you can easily use a completely unpatched
linux kernel.

--
#163933