One point no one has mentioned and I've wondered from time to time
myself is whether one can expect gentoo to continue into the future
for a long while, as compared to the likely hood of opensuse or maybe
debian that has been around a very long time.

It seemed at one time a year or so ago that gentoo's longevity was
questionable. (Possibly my own mis-perception)

For the OP, a few posters have mentioned that under gentoo, every
thing is compiled from scratch, but it was not made clear that it
happens again and again at most updates.

No one has made clear that there is a very HUGE amount of time sunk
into compiling absolutely everything.

A single update, if one lets updating slip a bit, can literally take
days to compile. And more days to reconfigure so that everything works
again.