Alan McKinnon wrote:
The current behaviour is the correct and expected one - you told portage to emerge something and it did. Why else would you emerge something if you didn't intend it to become a permanent feature of the system and part of world? This has always been the definition of emerge - to make it permanent. If you want to emerge something and NOT have portage put it in world then you must use the -1 option. Remember that emerging something is supposed to be a permanent action that you (as root) intended to happen. If what you intend is something more unusual like a mere test or "just to see what would happen" then you must take additional steps (to make it clear that you are doing something out of the ordinary). It's the same logic as rm uses: the user told the computer to delete a file so the computer did what it was told by it's master and deleted the file. What else would you expect it to do? p.s. before I forget: Happy New Year :-)

I didn't tell it to add it to the world file tho, I just told it to update it hence the option --update. I update things all the time but it doesn't mean I want them added to the world file. If I want to emerge something and have it added to the world file, I leave the -u option out of it, then it should be added because I requested it to be emerged not updated.

Example:

emerge phonon

That means I want it emerged on my system and should be added to the world file.

emerge -u phonon

That means I want to update/upgrade phonon. I don't want it in my world file, just updated. This is the way it worked before --oneshot came along. It is not the way it is now but it was that way a good while back.

Happy New Year to you too. Mine are getting better. I lost my Dad on New Years Day many years ago. It's not the same since.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output?  Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"