On 01/02/2012 08:36 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 05:06:32 -0600, Dale wrote:

That's why I fixed the new way to be closer to what I am used to.  I
added --oneshot to my make.conf.  When I really need to add something
to world, I just use --select y -nav.  To me, that is a lot of extra
steps to be "consistent".

You are trying to be "consistent" with your memory of how things used
to work (which is flawed, oneshot has been around a lot longer than you
think). Zac is looking for self-consistency.

Unfortunately, this is one of those cases where there is no overriding
argument in favour of one way or the other, prejudice and inertia play
more of a part than logic for most people.

Sure there is: adding a package to the world file can screw up your system if it's unintentional.

*Not* adding the package to world when you do an update is *not* harmful, because,

  * Nobody would use --update to install a new package
  * Depclean can show you that you made a mistake