On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 08:50:36 -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:

>    * Nobody would use --update to install a new package

Actually, that's a good reason to use --update on a single package, as
it installs a new package, but does not reinstall an existing package,
so you can emerge -u a list of packages and only install the new ones.

However, you can now do that with -n, which does add to world, so this
can also be used as an argument for -u to not touch world. I'm leaning
towards the view that I would prefer world to be untouched, but, as I
said, there's no compelling argument one way or the other.

Maybe you can file a bug report that gets enough votes to persuade Zac to
add a configuration option for this, or write the patch yourself.

--
Neil Bothwick

Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?