On 01/02/2012 04:25 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 16:08:44 -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:

No one has offered up a way to fix it yet, or a downside to the old
behavior.

Yes they have. Remove anything in the least suspect and emerge -cp. Then
emerge -n anything listed that you need.

I don't know which ones I need, and I can't just remove them and cross my fingers, because these are live servers.

There was a script floating around that created a new world file that
contained all installed packages that were not a dependency of another
installed package. It's not a perfect fix, but pretty close.

I gave a concrete example from one of our web servers where this would remove something important.