On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 3:17 AM, YoYo Siska <y...@gl.ksp.sk> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 08:31:08PM -0800, Dan Cowsill wrote:
> > Hey list,
> >
> > A little while after I compiled Gnome and got things running, I lost the
> > ability to add scripts to the default runlevel.  I can run rc-update add
> > xdm default, for example, and the xdm symlink will appear in
> > /etc/runlevels/default, and that symlink will indeed point to
> > /etc/init.d/xdm, but xdm will not start.  Further to that, there's no
> > evidence to indicate that RC is even trying to start it.  No errors, no
> > logs, no nothing.  Same goes for virtualbox-guest-additions and sysklogd.
> >  I tried logging rc and got absolutely nowhere.  There's nothing overt in
> > dmesg either.
> >
> > The really fun part is these scripts function perfectly if I run them
> after
> > boot.
> >
> > Since there's no evidence of this problem in any logs or during the
> startup
> > process, I assume there is no problem and I am doing it wrong.
>
> Is it possible that you are booting into a different runlevel that
> default ? (there's a softlevel=... kernel cmdline parameter)
>
> What happens if (after boot) you just run
>
> rc
>
> (should start all service in the current runlevel, that are not
> started yet)  or
>
> rc default
>
> (should swithc to 'default' runlevel and start all services) ?
>
> Could you post the output of  rc-status -a ?
> And maybe also grep rc /etc/inittab ?
>
> For xdm there is one additional thing to check: xdm can be disabled
> through a 'nox' kernel cmdline option or an /etc/.noxdm file...
> But in that case the initscript itself should start and just print a
> message, that it is not starting the DM.
>
> yoyo

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Running rc or rc default returns immediately.  I am sure I am starting into
the default runlevel because ntp-client runs on default and it starts no
problem.

Output from grep rc /etc/inittab:
si::sysinit:/sbin/rc sysinit
rc::bootwait:/sbin/rc boot
l0:0:wait:/sbin/rc shutdown
l1:1:wait:/sbin/rc single
l2:2:wait:/sbin/rc nonetwork
l3:3:wait:/sbin/rc default
l4:4:wait:/sbin/rc default
l5:5:wait:/sbin/rc default
l6:6:wait:/sbin/rc reboot
su0:S:wait:/sbin/rc single

Output from rc-status -a:
Runlevel: default
 net.eth1                                                          [
 started  ]
 dbus                                                              [
 started  ]
 net.eth0                                                          [
 started  ]
 netmount                                                          [
 started  ]
 ntp-client                                                        [
 started  ]
 sshd                                                              [
 started  ]
 udev-postmount                                                    [
 started  ]
 local                                                             [
 started  ]
Runlevel: sysinit
 dmesg                                                             [
 started  ]
 udev                                                              [
 started  ]
 devfs                                                             [
 started  ]
Runlevel: boot
 hwclock                                                           [
 started  ]
 modules                                                           [
 started  ]
 fsck                                                              [
 started  ]
 root                                                              [
 started  ]
 mtab                                                              [
 started  ]
 localmount                                                        [
 started  ]
 sysctl                                                            [
 started  ]
 bootmisc                                                          [
 started  ]
 urandom                                                           [
 started  ]
 net.lo                                                            [
 started  ]
 termencoding                                                      [
 started  ]
 swap                                                              [
 started  ]
 keymaps                                                           [
 started  ]
 hostname                                                          [
 started  ]
 procfs                                                            [
 started  ]
Runlevel: shutdown
 killprocs                                                         [
 stopped  ]
 savecache                                                         [
 stopped  ]
 mount-ro                                                          [
 stopped  ]
Dynamic Runlevel: hotplugged
Dynamic Runlevel: needed
 sysfs                                                             [
 started  ]
Dynamic Runlevel: manual

Output from rc-update show:
             bootmisc | boot
                 dbus |      default
                devfs |                       sysinit
                dmesg |                       sysinit
                 fsck | boot
             hostname | boot
              hwclock | boot
              keymaps | boot
            killprocs |              shutdown
                local |      default
           localmount | boot
              modules | boot
             mount-ro |              shutdown
                 mtab | boot
             net.eth0 |      default
             net.eth1 |      default
               net.lo | boot
             netmount |      default
           ntp-client |      default
               procfs | boot
                 root | boot
            savecache |              shutdown
                 sshd |      default
                 swap | boot
               sysctl | boot
             sysklogd |      default
         termencoding | boot
                 udev |                       sysinit
       udev-postmount |      default
              urandom | boot
 virtualbox-guest-additions |      default
                  xdm |      default
            xdm-setup |      default