Hey list,

A little while after I compiled Gnome and got things running, I lost the
ability to add scripts to the default runlevel.  I can run rc-update add
xdm default, for example, and the xdm symlink will appear in
/etc/runlevels/default, and that symlink will indeed point to
/etc/init.d/xdm, but xdm will not start.  Further to that, there's no
evidence to indicate that RC is even trying to start it.  No errors, no
logs, no nothing.  Same goes for virtualbox-guest-additions and sysklogd.
 I tried logging rc and got absolutely nowhere.  There's nothing overt in
dmesg either.

The really fun part is these scripts function perfectly if I run them after
boot.

Since there's no evidence of this problem in any logs or during the startup
process, I assume there is no problem and I am doing it wrong.

Thoughts?