On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 07:10:07PM -0800, Dan Cowsill wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 06:53:18 -0800, Dan Cowsill wrote:
> >
> > > Running rc or rc default returns immediately.  I am sure I am starting
> > > into the default runlevel because ntp-client runs on default and it
> > > starts no problem.
> >
> > Have you enabled logging in rc.conf? What does /var/log/rc.log show?
> >

> I have indeed.  The logs show that everything but xdm and
> virtualbox-guest-additions start normally.  The logs do not show any
> attempt to start either of those.  It seems this system is full of lies.
>
> Did you check the file permissions on those scripts?
>

> I have.  Permissions in the /etc/init.d folder are consistent across the
> board.
>
> If anything else, you can try running  'strace -e trace=file' on
> > rc-status and rc-update show and might notice something there that would
> > explain while those two tools come up with different sets of scripts...
>

> I've attached the strace results from rc-status, rc-update show and rc
> itself.  If you guys can make any sense of them, I'd be grateful.

Seems that rc-status sees the xdm initscript... but why doesn't it
show it then... no idea...

My advice would be to submit a bug, the inconsistent output from
rc-status vs rc-update is suspicious enough...

You might also try to re-emerge the packages that installs
/etc/init.d/xdm to see if that doesn't help... (should be
x11-base/xorg-server)

yoyo