Chris Walters wrote:
I am truly surprised that Gentoo, and more GNU/Linux and *BSD sites did not
join in the 'blackout'.  The only one I saw that did was opensuse.org .

These laws, as I understand them, and I am no lawyer, could be used against
open source kernels, operating system tools, and other open source applications
by companies that would benefit by eliminating competition or potential
competition.

The definition of infringement is so broad, and the blocking is required with
just a single complaint - it could really be used to wreak havoc on the
Internet, in general, and by the big players to eliminate the smaller
competition.  Lame alone could shut down just about every distribution and
their mirrors since the mp3 encoder algorithms are patented and cross-patented
in so many ways that just the distribution of the source code could result in a
complaint and many blocks.

Chris

I bypassed the wiki black out. I used adblock to disable the part that blacks everything out. I was doing some research on my health issues and I wanted more than a black screen. I like the way Google did it. It was certainly noticeable but you could still use the site. If Google had went down, people would have found the competition and that may not be good in the long run, law or no law. Who really competes with Google anyway? I wonder if a Google search would work on that? LOL

I don't like the law and honestly I don't like 99% of the laws they even think about much less pass. Trust me, I let my Rep know several times that I oppose both of them and even got a phone call today from one of them. I also pointed out that no law we pass here affects the people overseas. Last I heard, when you got a few miles off shore, our laws pretty much end. The people in other countries are going to hack and steal and host whatever they want as long as it benefits them. They could care less what our laws are. They may be laughing at us too. I know I could care less what laws they pass somewhere else.

Little piece of info about me. If you want to get me really going, put a politician on TV and let his lips move. I can give a sailor a run for his money. O_O

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output?  Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"