Let's deal with your biggest mistake first. You are running a stable
system (you have ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64" in make,conf) but you want to
install gnome-3.

Now that is highly unlikely to work for a very long time yet as gnome-3
is considered nowhere near stable enough yet to be unmasked. Portage is
going to want to unmask vast chunks of your system to meet the
long deep list of dependencies for gnome-3 and this will cause you
sever amounts of pain.

Trust the folks on this list, over the years we have learned that a
stable system (with maybe a few unmasked packages) is OK, an unstable
system is also mostly OK (you just update lots of things often) but it
doesn't break fantastically every other day.

A system that is half stable, half unstable DOES break fantastically
every other day. And this is what you are trying to do.

You have many options, only two are actually realistic:

1. Stay stable, do not use gnome-3
2. Switch to unstable, do a full "emerge -e world", then emerge
gnome-3. It will go easy and probably JustWork out the box.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com