On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Jarry wrote:

> Personally I do not see any advantage of it over /var/spool/mail.
> On the other side, separate partitions for /var (with mail) and /home
> (with user files) let me define different quotas for mail and files.
> Well, at least I thought it, until I found out that mail is actually
> in /home too...

There have been many discussions for years about how maildir is superior
to mbox format... Im sure Google will help you find them.

> Not for me, but for my users. Now I have to go through each mailreader
> and find out how to force it reading mails from .maildir

There is probably a global config file for most mailers.

> BTW, if some users do not have $HOME, where their .maildir will be???

Not all email systems use /var/mail or $HOME, qmail+vpopmail stores email
for everyone under /home/vpopmail/domains for example.

> > You could add mbox to your useflags and emerge sendmail. If you *really*
> > want to use mbox...
>
> That seem to me to be much easier. First I will find some info about it,
> but if there is no substantial advantage in using maildirs instead of
> /var/sool/mail, I will switch to the "old" mail storage system...

We had all sorts of performance problems with mbox format - it is not
scaleable, bigger mboxes produce huge loads on the server. I should also
mention that maildir is inherently safer over NFS than mbox.

Its clear from your posting that you have yet to experience the problems
that have caused a lot of server administrators to abandon mbox format.