For me, top posting keeps me from having to wade through the entire message to get to the "new response" of the OP. I think most "linux nerds" (me included) distain top posting because it's the default setting of some email app that runs on the windows OS....

It's also the default for Gmail and Thunderbird, as I mentioned before. Fortunately, Thunderbird lets you change it. Holly posted a nice little how-to as well.. ;)

The biggest problem that I run into is more often than not, the top posting types leave the *entire email conversation* below their reply. They don't trim it. They end up causing *more* scrolling to get to the issue at hand. That's bad.

I remember the days of "netiquette." I guess I'm a grizzled old Usenet hippie. :|