A couple of booby-traps for the unwarey...

1) There seemes to be a colour translation bug in recent versions of
Flash that only shows with the Nvidia video drivers.  Red and blue are
swapped in Flash.  If you see people with blue faces, and you're not
watching Avatar, you've hit this bug.  The solution is to edit
/etc/adobe/mms.cfg  Append the line...

EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1

This will work with most Nvidia cards.  If that doesn't work, try making
it two lines, namely...

EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
OverrideGPUValidation=true

Note that Flash is quite fragile with these two lines, and the plugin
crashes a lot.

2) Nvidia drivers do not like the mplayer "xv" video output option at
all.  It hangs my machine, requiring Magic-Sysrq to shut down
semi-gracefully.  Don't use that option with Nvidia drivers.

  So my Dell Inspiron D530 desktop, which is pushing 5 years, paired
with a $40 Asus EN210 SILENT/DI/512MD3/V2(LP) NVIDIA GeForce 210 Chipset
(589Mhz) 512MB (1333Mhz) GDDR3 DVI/VGA/HDMI PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics
Card gets over 5300 fps in glxgears.  In real life, it plays 1080p
Youtube HD videos fullscreen (1920x1080) without stuttering.  I do have
to let it buffer for several seconds first, because my 6 megabit ADSL
connection nets 4.98 megabits, and it can't quite keep up with the
required download speed.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>