On Sat, Jul 07 2012, Michael Mol wrote:

> Stupid question...might your firewall be dropping packets? Check your
> firewall logs.
>
> Similarly, is there a difference in network connectivity between the
> machine that works and the two that don't?
>
> Also similarly, is the mfp on the wireless network along with the
> functioning box, while the two nonfunctioning boxes are on the wired
> side of your network? In that case, firewall and protection mechanisms
> on the router might be interfering.

My home network is very simple

cable modem  --> linksys wet54g

The 4 wired ports are connected to
    1.  ss:     The officejet with the "problem"
    2.  lj:     An irrelevant laserjet
    3.  allan:  The desktop.  Can print and scan (amd64)
    4.  ajglap: Main laptop.  Can print, but not scan (~amd64)

Wireless connections from the linksys to various devices including
    oldlap:  backup laptop (~amd64)

Yesterday I removed all printers from oldlap and reinstalled the
officejet via hp-setup.  It could neither print nor scan

Today I removed all printers from oldlap and reinstalled the officejet
via CUPS.  It can print, but xsane reports no devices available.

Both days oldlap can ping the officejet using URL: 192.168.1.50

allan