On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 11:47:36 +0200
Alex Schuster <wo...@wonkology.org> wrote:

> Frank Steinmetzger writes:
>
> > So after the recent thread here about 32bit/64bit and some arguments
> > from a friend, I made the switch from 32 bit to 64 bit (with a clean
> > install from scratch of course).  There’s one big problem I’m
> > having: I cannot see the Grub (legacy) boot menu.  It still
> > functions alright, but I don’t see it.
>
> Weird, I have no idea. Just want to say that I am using legacy Grub on
> ~amd64 just fine. Not grub-static, and the static USE flag is not set.
> Never had a problem with that.
>
> Do you use a splashimage in your grub.conf? Maybe without you will
> get a working text mode Grub. Not that this should matter, but anyway.

That's how I do it too. Plain old grub on many amd64 systems, nothing
special. I do disable splashimage too, it never seems to work for me
without using genkernel.

When grub is running and showing it's menu, the only thing active
video-wise should be good old VGA. Hard to imagine what could go wrong
with VGA in 80x25 text mode

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com