On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Chris Stankevitz
<chrisstankev...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed xfce4-meta and was a little surprised to see it did not
> come with thunar.   When I tried to install it, portage became upset.
>
> Question: is it normal that I would have to ~amd64 a bunch of packages
> and deal with slot conflicts and static-libs to install a file
> manager?  FYI I am running a "stable" (non-~AMD64) system.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Chris

My wife uses XFCE with none of that confusion going on. I don't have
anything much on the machine in terms of controlling XFCE. It just
works. The machine was updated a few days ago so unless something got
messed up in portage it sounds like a config issue on your end to me.

HTH,
Mark

k2 ~ # eix -Ic xfce
[U] x11-themes/gtk-engines-xfce (3.0.0-r200{tbz2}@05/17/12 ->
3.0.0-r200{tbz2} 3.0.0-r300(3)): A port of Xfce engine to GTK+-3.x
[I] xfce-base/libxfce4ui (4.10.0{tbz2}@05/22/12): Unified widgets and
session management libraries for the Xfce desktop environment
[I] xfce-base/libxfce4util (4.10.0{tbz2}@05/22/12): A basic utility
library for the Xfce desktop environment
[I] xfce-base/libxfcegui4 (4.10.0{tbz2}@05/22/12): A compability
library for unported Xfce 4.6 plugins
[I] xfce-base/xfce4-appfinder (4.10.0{tbz2}@05/22/12): A tool to find
and launch installed applications for the Xfce desktop environment
[I] xfce-base/xfce4-meta (4.10{tbz2}@05/22/12): The Xfce Desktop
Environment (meta package)
[I] xfce-base/xfce4-panel (4.10.0{tbz2}@05/22/12): Panel for the Xfce
desktop environment
[I] xfce-base/xfce4-session (4.10.0{tbz2}@05/22/12): A session manager
for the Xfce desktop environment
[I] xfce-base/xfce4-settings (4.10.0{tbz2}@05/22/12): Configuration
system for the Xfce desktop environment
[I] xfce-extra/xfce4-datetime-plugin (0.6.1{tbz2}@05/22/12): A panel
plug-in with date, time and embedded calender
[I] xfce-extra/xfce4-mixer (4.8.0{tbz2}@05/22/12): A volume control
application (and panel plug-in) for the Xfce desktop environment
[I] xfce-extra/xfce4-notes-plugin (1.7.7{tbz2}@05/22/12): Xfce4 panel
sticky notes plugin
[I] xfce-extra/xfce4-timer-plugin (0.6.4{tbz2}@05/22/12): A simple
timer plug-in for the Xfce desktop environment
Found 13 matches.
k2 ~ # eix -Ic thunar
[I] xfce-base/thunar (1.4.0{tbz2}@06/12/12): File manager for the Xfce
desktop environment
k2 ~ # cat /etc/portage/package.keywords | grep xfce
k2 ~ # cat /etc/portage/package.use | grep xfce
k2 ~ #