Michael Mol <mikemol <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > Are you saying that you were able to print to your brother printers by
> > more or less following these steps:
> > 1. buy a computer, install gentoo
> > 2. buy a brother printer, plug it into computer via usb
> > 3. emerge net-print/cups and net-print/foomatic-filters
> > 4. Visit the local cups webpage, add new printer, select "brother"
> > 5. print

> > Notably missing from my list is a visit to brother's website (or any
> > other website) to download drivers/binaries/confs/etc.

> More or less. The Brother printers happen to be attached to a Debian
> box, but the Gentoo box doesn't require any additional drivers in
> order to feed the content to the Debian box over IPP. (And the Debian
> box isn't doing any PCL->Brother or PostScript->Brother translation.)

Wow, when I go into CUPS, I do not even see brother
listed. (localhost:631) on a gentoo system.

this link:

http://www.openprinting.org/printers

did list many brother printers,but not the
one  I'm interested in :

Brother MFC-J6710DW Inkjet

What did you do to your cups to get it to show (flags?)
brother printers as an option to install a brother printer?

Here are my flags:

Installed versions:  1.5.2-r4^t(00:11:27 09/13/12)(X acl dbus filters gnutls
java jpeg ldap pam perl png python slp ssl threads tiff usb -avahi <snip>

Maybe the debian system has other additional software installed
besides cups?
James