On Sat, 2012-11-03 at 19:54 -0600, Joseph wrote:
> On 11/04/12 03:13, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >> I'm running OpneVPN server/client configuration on Linux machines but
> >> I'm not sure which setting to select on Android to talk to OpneVPN
> >>
> >> Android 4 comes with VPN type:
> >> PPTP
> >> L2TP/IPSec PSK
> >> L2TP/IPSec RSA
> >> IPSec Xauth PSK
> >> IPSec Xauth RSA
> >> IPSec Hybrid RSA
> >>
> >> Which one is compatible with OpenVPN?
> >>
> >> My preference would be to connect to an existing session "shadow"
> >>

> >Why do you think OpenVPN will give you an X server and let you share
> >a desktop?
> >
> >Hint: it won't. You might be able to export X apps to the tablet over
> >OpenVPN, but you don;t have an X server there that can display anything.
> >

> >--
> >Alan McKinnon
> >alan.mckin...@gmail.com
>
> Android is more compatible with Windows than Linux, even tough is based on
> Linux kernel.
> Yes, I know I would an application like nxclient on Android that doesn't
> exist :-/
>
> Wouldn't: ssh -Y user@IP-address work ?
> But even if it did, it would be very, very slow.

Not true at all, just that the standard feature set is enetrprise/user
oriented - not server or hobby-ist.

Install an openvpn client (I use "OpenVPN for Android" in the play
store) - the standard VPNs are for enterprise use (pptp is useless, my
institution blocks them, the others are for Cisco VPN concentrators.)

There are lots of vnc clients in the play store which should route
across the vpn fine.

BillK