On Sat, 3 Nov 2012 19:54:27 -0600
Joseph <syscon...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/04/12 03:13, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >> I'm running OpneVPN server/client configuration on Linux machines
> >> but I'm not sure which setting to select on Android to talk to
> >> OpneVPN
> >>
> >> Android 4 comes with VPN type:
> >> PPTP
> >> L2TP/IPSec PSK
> >> L2TP/IPSec RSA
> >> IPSec Xauth PSK
> >> IPSec Xauth RSA
> >> IPSec Hybrid RSA
> >>
> >> Which one is compatible with OpenVPN?
> >>
> >> My preference would be to connect to an existing session "shadow"
> >>

> >Why do you think OpenVPN will give you an X server and let you share
> >a desktop?
> >
> >Hint: it won't. You might be able to export X apps to the tablet over
> >OpenVPN, but you don;t have an X server there that can display
> >anything.
> >

> >--
> >Alan McKinnon
> >alan.mckin...@gmail.com
>
> Android is more compatible with Windows than Linux, even tough is
> based on Linux kernel. Yes, I know I would an application like
> nxclient on Android that doesn't exist :-/
>
> Wouldn't: ssh -Y user@IP-address work ?

It will work if you have an X-server on your Android tablet.

But I doubt you have an X-Server on your Android tablet.

Are you understanding what I am saying? Do you know what an X-server is?

It is not VNC, RDP, nx, newmachine or anything else; it is itself, the
thing that KDE and Gnome run on.

Android does not ship with an X-server.

> But even if it did, it would be very, very slow.

Not necessarily.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com