On 13/02/2013 06:13, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 9:23 PM, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> IOW, try gnome3 on a virtual machine first :)
>
> I think it would be easier if you tried a LiveCD:
>
> http://www.gnome.org/getting-gnome/
>
> For what is worth, I find myself more productive and much more at ease
> with GNOME 3 than with GNOME 2 (or any other desktop, for that
> matter). Every desktop/laptop computer I put my hands on, the first
> thing I try to do is to press the windows key to get the overview;
> it's really disappointing when it doesn't work and I realize I'm not
> using GNOME 3.
>
> I suggest to try the LiveCD; Walt seems to hate the shell and I love
> it, but that's because is a matter of personal opinion. I hate KDE
> (all four versions); that doesn't mean it's bad software, or that it
> has the wrong design. It's just not for me.

Purely out of morbid curiosity, I've just spent an hour playing with the
Gnome 3 LiveCd in a VM.

What I'm seeing is a KDE4 ripoff, done badly, plus a few MacOS-isms and
some ideas from Unity:

- Highly generic launcher on the left, just like Unity.
- Click something, get big list of launchable apps in big "area" in
middle of screen, just like Unity.
- Go to settings, hey this looks *exactly* like KDE4 SystemSettings with
the useful stuff removed. Even the icon is the same!
- Contacts and IM settings integrated into the system just like KDE (but
actually that might be more Telepathy than KDE)
- Menu seems to magically morph into system taskbar, sort of like MacOS

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but I really do not see the
point of Gnome3 at all. It has no identity of its own apart from the
recognizable icon set, that covers some of the look. The feel is as I
said very much copying KDE and some MacOS (just not enough MacOS to get
sued by Apple).

So what's the point of Gnome3?

If people like the Unity-ish bits, they should run Unity. Same with the
KDE and MacOS bits.

I'm happy to be shown to be wrong and to be shown where Gnome3 has merit
for being itself, where it can proudly stand on it's own. But I'm just
not seeing it yet

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com