On 13/02/2013 19:56, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
>> I'd still really like someone who groks what Gnome3 is all about to fill
>> in these blanks in my understanding with truthiness ;-)
>
> Apparently the main drive is to have a brand, so a constant and so
> simple look is recognised as a Gnome/? machine. A bit pointless if
> no-one uses it or changes to something better (negative brand).

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that little jewel, the bit where a senior
Gnome dev is on record as saying that themes the user can control are
bad. And this person wants to remove (or at least tone down) themes so
Gnome can control Gnome's brand.

>>> The gnome3 devs may intend to restore the missing stuff at some point, but I
>>> don't know, and meanwhile I'm frustrated and my attitude is deteriorating.
>
> Certainly not all unless they change the 'Brand' position.

Who cares about a brand? Projects make software that works.

Distros do branding. Or does Gnome want every Gnome-using distro to look
the same?

Do Gnome devs know how to spell "fork"?

--
Alan McKinnon