130330 Walter Dnes wrote:
>  I have 2 Dell desktops ("production" and "hot backup")
> that are pushing 5 or 6 years of age, and I need to replace at least one.
> They simply can't keep up with HD video streams...
> * I'm running Gentoo with full optimizations
> * I'm running ICEWM with no "desktop environment"; see my sig
> So I don't think there are any more optimizations to be had,
> other than a new PC.  Assuming there are no showstoppers,
>  I'll be buying another Dell.  They seem to last for me.

Why don't you build a custom machine ?  I've built  4  since 2000 :
it's cheaper & you get exactly what you want.
IIRC you live in the Toronto area : I bought all my parts
at Canada Computers on College St, which has an excellent website.
There's lots of advice via this list once you decide to try.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca