On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 07:51:17PM +0200, Davide Carnovale wrote:
> Hi all gentoo people!
> I've been away from gentoo for a while, and I'm in the process of
> reinstalling it today.
> While downloading the stage 3 I noticed that only an i486 version is
> available. As far as I remember, gentoo was best known, back in the
> days, for being fast, as it was one of the first distro to support
> i686... am i wrong with this? if not, why only i486 today?
>
> apart from the reasons behind the decision of shipping only an i486
> stage 3, do you think it's worth the pain to recompile everything
> (like the old stage1) for a different arch? i have an intel i5
> processor.
>
> regards
>
> Davide

Hi Davide,

The directories I checked read:
http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/x86/autobuilds/current-stage3-i686/
but the tarball states it's hardened:
http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/x86/autobuilds/current-stage3-i686/stage3-i686-hardened-20130326.tar.bz2

Haven't personally used a x86 in years.
--
Happy Penguin Computers               >')
126 Fenco Drive                       ( \

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

A: Top-posting.

Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting