On Sunday 26 May 2013 22:35:14 J. Roeleveld wrote:
> > On 25 May 2013, at 22:26, Nick Khamis wrote:
> >> ... As mentioned this
> >> would be two separate DSL services, connected using separate bridges.
> >> I think I am describing more of a link aggregation or bonding....
> >>
> >> Also assuming that the service providers support bonding of the linksÂ….
> >
> > Here in the UK this is a somewhat common thing - there are a number of
>
> ISPs which
>
> > offer bonded xDSL services.
> >
> > It's certainly possible to use a Linux router to manage such a
> > connection, although I don't know the details.
> >
> > http://www22.brinkster.com/findall/bondedcd.html
> >
> > http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/reviews/adsl-bonding-how-to-and-revie
> > w.html
>
> Bonding network devices together is quite simple, but it needs to be
> configured on both ends.
> In other words, to merge 2 DSL-connections together using bonding, you
> need to get both from the same ISP and the ISP would need to support it on
> their end.
>
> If bonding can't be done on the ISP-side, you can use seperate
> load-balancing/failover using other techniques.

There's different ways of going about it, without or without MLPPP, depending
on what your ISP offers:

http://wiki.aa.org.uk/index.php/Linux_upload_bonding_using_multipath_routing

http://wiki.aa.org.uk/index.php/Linux_upload_bonding_using_policy_routing

It used to be the case that Cisco 1800/2800 routers were used at customers'
premises for MLPPP with certain UK ISPs, but since BT started implementing
21CN (ADSL2+) they are using ERX core routers (Juniper) and no longer support
MLPPP.  I understand that MPLS is used instead these days, but have no
experience in its implementation.
--
Regards,
Mick